Hihi,
we keep changing our destination so many times that even my parents are a bit muddled up about where I'm going heh! Anyway, I'm here to share a little on something I learnt in church today!
"Upon seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd." Matthew 9:36
I learnt today that there is a BIG difference between compassion and empathy. Empathy is evoked when we look on the surface and see the physical and material needs of the people and this results in a desire and an accompanied action to help to meet these needs. Compassion, which is what Jesus felt, is when we look much deeper and we see the greater need of the people--their need for God.
Both compassion and empathy, are of course important and necessary as we go out into all the world to bring the Good News to the nations. But sometimes, the outward needs of the people may be so great, that we forget their deeper spiritual need.
In a way, I thank God that He changed our destination from South Africa to Japan. Like I was sharing during the last team meeting we had, I thought it would be difficult for me to feel the burden for the Japanese people just because they are materially more well-off than many people around the world, of whom worry on a daily basis if they'll have a home tomorrow or food on the table for the next meal. But God, in His own marvellous workings, showed me the spiritual need of the people in Japan! I was brought back to be reminded of the very basic reasons why missions exists: because God is to be worshipped and honoured by all peoples and because the people need to know the true and living God who saves.
I leave you guys with a quote:
"Mission efforts which draw their motivation from compassionate response to human needs will only go so far. Believers need to be nurtured into a far-reaching jealousy for God's glory."
The next time we pray, let's ask God to give us the same compassion that Jesus had for the people, and that compassion would grow in us even all the more =)
Ms Pang Arlene shared at 11:39:00 PM
***
<$BlogCommentDateTime$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>